Thursday, October 29, 2009

Cracked Wheat Bread

About a year ago I started making my own bread.  I always use the Pantry Secrets bread dough recipe (pantrysecrets.net).  It is SO much better than store-bought, so fast, and so easy to make that I never looked back. 
Personally, I do not prefer the taste of whole wheat bread, so I always use the 'white' flour version.  However, I also wanted to try and make it a bit more healthy; so I came up with this recipe.
It is a great way to get wheat into your diet, without sacrificing the flavor of white bread.  I'm sure the whole concept will work just as well with your favorite bread recipe.  Because I can't taste the difference, I make all of my bread, rolls, breadsticks, pizza doughs, etc. with cracked wheat now... and yes, my kids love it!
This photo was taken before the bread was baked, because the wheat shows up better.

Cracked Wheat Bread
(Pantry Secrets Bread Dough Recipe + cracked wheat)
5 c. Turkey Brand Flour (Lehi Roller-Mills flour, also sold at Costco)
1/4 c. sugar
3 rounded 1/2 Tbsp. Saf-Instant Yeast
1/2 Tbsp. salt
2 quarter sized drops liquid Lecithin
1 c. packed cooked cracked wheat
1 3/4 - 2 c. HOT tap water

Combine flour, sugar, yeast and salt in mixing bowl, and stir to combine.  Add lecithin, wheat, and 1 1/2 c. water.  After 1 minute of mixing check consistency and add more water if needed (dough should be slightly sticky - forming a ball in the middle of the bowl).  Mix for a total of 6 minutes on medium speed.
Roll out on counter/cutting board that has been sprayed with cooking spray (not a floured surface).  Knead 4 times, and cut in half. 
Form into loaves/rolls/breadsticks.  Let raise for 25 minutes.
Bake at 350 for 25 minutes (loaves) or 15 minutes for rolls and breadsticks.
Makes 2 large loaves (10.5x6x3" pans)

No comments:

Post a Comment