Thursday, January 26, 2012

Summer Corn Chowder with Bacon


This deeeelicious chowder is perfect for those cold winter days (even if it is made with summer veggies).  This comes together quickly and tastes fantastic.

Summer Corn Chowder with Bacon
Recipe from Epicurious

12 slices bacon
12 c. fresh or frozen corn kernels
3 c. chopped fresh fennel bulb (substitute onions and celery if you don't have fennel)
2 c. zucchini or summer squash, 1/2" cubes
2 c. russet potatoes, 1/2" cubes
2 cans chicken broth
1 c. whipping cream OR evaporated milk
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 c. chopped fresh chives
salt and pepper to taste

Saute bacon in a large pot over medium-high heat until crisp and brown.
Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
To drippings, add corn, fennel, zucchini, and potatoes and saute for 5 minutes.
Add chicken broth and simmer uncovered, over medium heat until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. 

Transfer 6 cups of the soup to a blender, and puree until smooth.
Return puree to soup in pot.
Stir in cream and cayenne.
Bring chowder back to a simmer.
Season to taste with salt and pepper (I had to add about 1 tsp. of kosher salt).

Chop bacon and chives.
Ladle chowder into bowls and sprinkle with bacon and chives.
Serves 8.

If freezing: 
Let soup cool to room temperature.  Pour into freezer bags/containers and freeze for up to 6 months.  Freeze bacon separately to serve on top.

2 comments:

  1. Michelle,

    I just started checked out your food blog and I love it - lots of ideas for my plethora of squash :) I just wanted to mention that I have made this particular recipe a lot and I love it. I can't stomach the price of fennel, so I always use half leeks and half celery instead and it is fantastic.

    Thanks for your awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be thanking you, Rachel! Since you we're actually the one who referred me to this recipe (many years ago I overheard someone asking you what to do with zucchini and you recommended this soup). So thank you! I'm glad you are enjoying the blog!

      Delete